Re: Faculty As Line Officers or Directors of David V. Cohn 15 Jul 1997 14:12 EST

Yes, we do at Louisville.  However this situation requires substantial
 monitoring to
avoid conflicts of interest and overseeing by third parties of any research
 activities by
the faculty member that might impact economically on the company in which he/she
has a  financial/ownership relationship.   I'll be interested in learning from
 you the type
of replies you receive from other institutions.  dvc

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:25:09 -0400, Research Administration Discussion Group
 wrote:

>Are there any universities among the membership of this list which allow
>faculty to be officers (President, VP etc) or directors of companies that
>are either directly or indirectly related to their responsibilities as
>university faculty?
>
>For example, a surgeon who would be Executive VP and a Director of a
>company that manufactures sutures; or a molecular biologist who would be
>President and Chairman of a biotech company.
>
>Leonard P. Paplauskas
>Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research
>University of Connecticut Health Center
>Farmington, CT  06030-5355