Re: Graduate Student Compensation Carol Sottosanti 03 May 1997 08:47 EST

Research Administration Discussion Group wrote:

> We are requesting information on how private universities deal with student
 tax
> issues.  Specifically, please reply by answering the following questions
>
> How does your institution handle salary and tuition for graudate
> students who work as research and/or teaching assistants?
>
> Does your university treat both salary and tuition as compensation?
>
> Does the university withhold taxes on salary, tuition or both?
>
> How is the salary and tution budgeted on research proposals?  What line item
 is
> used?
>
> Is tuition waived or discounted for RA's or TA's?
>
> Is tuition included in your MTDC?
>
> We appreciate your feedback.  Please respond by email to Tina Bottini
> (xxxxxx@vax1.ais.iit.edu) or Jean Engel (xxxxxx@vax1.ais.iit.edu).  Thank
> you.
Tina,
    My apologies for not being able to respond right away on these
issues.  I will be at a regional meeting and will get back to you as
soon as I return.  We've had some problems in this area so I hope my
feedback will help.
   Carol
   xxxxxx@Lehigh.edu