Re: Use of U.S. Flag Carriers Jack Mumma 24 Apr 1997 07:27 EST

My simple rule of thumb:  Which carrier is on the ticket?  This is a
funny provision, since the law is openly protectionist.  Congress
passed it to give US airlines the same benefit foreign-held carriers
have in their home nations.  If the US carrier is willing to enter into
an agreement with a foreign carrier, they are gaining the benefit the
law intended.

Jack Mumma
Construction Contract Administrator
Michigan State University
Contract & Grant Administration
301 Administration Building
East Lansing, MI 48823
517 353-4416; 353-9812(fax)
xxxxxx@cga.msu.edu
http://www.cga.msu.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From:   Research Administration Discussion Group
[SMTP:xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us]
Sent:   Wednesday, April 23, 1997 5:37 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
Subject:        Use of U.S. Flag Carriers

I called a travel agency today to check on a U.S. Flag Carrier route =
after a P.I. told me that the U.S. Carrier was completely booked so he
=
would have to use a non-U.S. Flag Carrier. I found it hard to believe =
that there was no other American airline serving the route and earlier
=
in the day he had told me that his family was making the same trip via
=
Luftansa so he didn't see the point of flying in another plane beside =
them, etc.

The travel agent told me that Delta & Luftansa had an agreement and she
=
could just book the tickets as Delta and that it is done all the time.
I =
reiterated that this was under Federal funds with the U.S. Flag Carrier
=
restrictions. I was told that, in some cases, even when there wasn't an
=
agreement, they just ticketed under the originating U.S. carrier. I =
called a second travel agent and they are doing the same thing.

Is this allowable?

Val Seaquist
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Office of Research Administration