Re: Clinical Study IDC Rates Paplauskas,Leonard 22 Aug 1996 08:22 EST

These are the results of a survey I conducted on this list a couple of years
ago.  I don't know if the results are still valid.  The rate for UCONN
Health Center is still as it was 2 years ago.

Indirect Cost Rates for Clinical Trials - (UCHC Survey)

INSTITUTION              RATE COMMENTS

Albert Einstein Medical Center     20.0%
Baylor University             20.0%     (minimum, rate negotiated for each
 trial)
East Tennessee State University    22.0%
Eastern Virginia Medical School    20.0%
Emory University              20.0%
Evanston Hospital
 (Affiliate of Northwestern Univ.)     35.0%
Indiana University School of Medicine   25.0%
Jefferson Medical College
 (Thomas Jefferson Univ.)       25.0%
Medical College of Ohio       25.0%
Northwestern University       35.0%
Ohio State University         12.0%
Rehab. Institute of Chgo.
 (Affil. of Northwestern Univ.)        25.0%
Southern Illinois University
 School of Medicine          25.0%
Stanford University      31.0%     (if no int. prop. terms)
Tulane University Medical Center   25.0%     (for new contracts)
University of Arizona         20.0%     (human subjects only)
University of Calgary         25.0%
University of California, Irvine   20.7%
University of California, Los Angeles   22.5%
University of California, San Diego     19.5%
University of California, San Francisco26.0% (off-campus, h.s. only)
University of California, San Francisco29.5% (on-campus, h.s. only)
University of Colorado
 Health Sciences Center      26.0%
University of Connecticut
 Health Center               26.0%
University of Illinois        25.0%
University of Maryland at Baltimore     20.0%
University of Massachusetts
 Medical Center              25.0%
University of Michigan        15.0%
University of Missouri        23.0%
University of Rochester       25.0%
University of Wisconsin       20.0%
William Beaumont
 Hospital, Royal Oak, MI          15.0%
Yale University               30.0%

MEAN =    23.6%
STD DEV = 5.0%
VAR =     0.3%
MEDIAN = 25.0%

The University of Michigan conducted a similar survey a year or two earlier
than mine.  I have a copy, but I can't recall if they gave me permission to
post the information.  If some one from UM confirms its OK to post it, I
will, or perhaps they have updated theirs, and can post it.  It would be
useful to update this information, and if anyone cares to respond directly
to me, I will do so and post it in a few weeks.  We at UCONN have found this
information of great value.

Len Paplauskas
Asst. VP for Research
UCONN Health Center
Farmington, CT   06030-5355
860-679-3173 (voice)
860-679-2670 (fax)
xxxxxx@adp.uchc.edu

 ----------
From: Research Administration Discuss
To: Multiple recipients of list RES
Subject: Clinical Study IDC Rates
Date: Wednesday, August 21, 1996 1:28PM

Dear Colleagues-

The indirect cost rate for clincial studies at the University of
Florida is 25% of total direct costs.  What are the rates applied to
clinical studies at some of your institutions?  Please indicate what
base is used.  Thanks for your help.  If there is interest I can post
results to whoever is interested.  Thanks.

Thomas J. Roberts, Assistant Director for Research
University of Florida, College of Medicine
Phone (904) 392-5398, Fax (904) 392-7427
e-mail  "xxxxxx@dean.med.ufl.edu"