Re: Who owns data? Naegel, Gary P. 24 Jun 1994 09:28 EST

Faculty are advised to be sure that any Consulting Agreement they enter does
 not conflict with Yale's University's Patent Policy , which requires the
rights to any inventions developed wholly or in part with assistance of
federal funds belong to the University.   All faculty and research staff are
required to sign a Patent Policy Acknowledgment and Agreement.  The
University's Office of Cooperative Research, the General Counsel's Office,
the Office(s) of Grants and Contracts, and the departmental business offices
work together to advise,  monitor, and maintain the University's
intellectual property rights.

Gary P. Naegel
Administrator
Yale School of Medicine
Department of Pharmacology
(203) 785-4373
xxxxxx@MASPO1.MAS.YALE.EDU
 ----------
From: RESADM-L
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
Subject: Who owns data?
Date: Friday, June 24, 1994 9:30AM

Greetings,

Whenever we teach our course in Research Methods for Fellows, the question
of "Who owns the data?" always comes up.

This is usually not a problem except of course when an investigator leaves
the institution or the investigator realizes that the data he/she generated
years ago has commercial value.

So, my question to colleagues on the list is do your institutions have
EXPLICIT policies about who owns the data... notebooks, logs, dicks, etc.

Cheers

Bob Bienkowski
Pediatric Research
Schneider Children's Hospital