Re: Fixed Price Contracts/Investment Income Donald E. Artz 05 Apr 1994 10:39 EST

On Thu, 31 Mar 1994, Tony, Grant & Contract Services x7604 wrote:

> At least one of you has said that at the end of a fixed price contract you
> take out the IDC (based on cash receipts, I assume) and transfer the balance
> to another account to be used at the PI's discretion.  What do you do when the
> PI wants to use these funds for a new research project?  Do you "double-dip"
> and charge IDC on the new project or set it up with no IDC (and eat all the
> overhead expenses associated with a new project)?

 Although our institution's policy for return of fixed price funds
to PIs is a little more complex than a straight DC to PI / IDC to
Institution, any of these funds returned to the PI are setup in an
account without IDC applied.  As you pointed out, this would be double-
dipping (at least from the PI's perspective), since the IDC was taken by
the institution at closeout of the original agreement.

 ,
> but administration recently decided to pool it into a central account to pay
> for research related programs that will ostensibly benefit everyone (i.e.,
> retreats, support for young investigators, etc.)  What do you think?

 Our institution pools this income centrally as well.  As you
described, it is used for various purposes; e.g. Research Development,
Deficit/Bad-debt Writeoff, Academic/Research Equipment, etc.  It seems to
work well here.

*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*
*! Donald Artz                                   !*
*! State University of New York College of       !*
*!   Environmental Science and Forestry          !*
*! xxxxxx@mailbox.syr.edu  OR xxxxxx@SUADMIN     !*
*! "It is a simple task to make things complex,  !*
*!  but a complex task to make them simple."     !*
*!                       -- Meyer's Law          !*