Re: wandering PI George Capowich 02 Jul 2007 12:50 EST

It seems that there are several issues above and beyond the IP one.

1. The proposal was joint between the other institution and USF so it
should have gone through your internal clearance procedures that would
have specified the budget along with a letter of support from USF. At
this point, however, it is too late for the other institution to do
anything. It seems that after-the-fact clearance procedures are necessary.

2. If your faculty member is buying out teaching time then the grant
money will have to be funneled through the USF. This makes a subcontract
necessary. A sub is needed if the grant has other cost items for USF
such as supplies, equipment, student salaries, etc. The other
institution will need the sub to send or reimburse USF.

3. I do not understand how the faculty member will both reduce teaching
time and make extra money without a sub. Most grants prohibit faculty
making more than 100% of their academic year salary. How will your
faculty person become an employee of the other institution?

Pamela Miller wrote:

> That is an excellent point. I don’t think so in this case, but it
> would be a problem if there were any IP.
>
> What about the institution that submitted the proposal—it went to NIH.
> Shouldn’t they have required something from our institution before
> submitting something involving our faculty? Shouldn’t they need
> something from us now? What is their responsibility in this situation?
>
> Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
> Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
> The University of San Francisco
> 2130 Fulton Street
> San Francisco, CA 94117-1080
> TEL 415-422-5368
> FAX 415-422-6222
> EMAIL xxxxxx@usfca.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@usfca.edu>

George E. Capowich, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Sociology
Special Assistant to the Provost for Research Development
Office of Grants and Research
Loyola University New Orleans
6363 St. Charles Avenue
Campus Box 71
New Orleans. LA 70118
TEL:  504-864-7244 (Office of Grants and Research)
TEL:  504-864-7255 (Direct)