Re: Waivers of F&A and F&A Cost Recovery Andrew Parkerson-Gray 31 May 2007 16:36 EST
Yes, we do: http://www.uaf.edu/osp/policy/under-recovery.pdf

Full F&A Recovery
Whenever possible, UAF applies full, negotiated F&A rates for recovery
on all externally sponsored projects.
For awards carrying full F&A recovery, the distribution ratio is
53.4:2:1:43.6.
(53.4% to the department/unit : 2% to debt service : 1% to ORI : 43.6%
to UAF/Statewide)

Reduced/Waived F&A Recovery (Mandatory or Voluntary)
The Dean/Director signature on the UAF Proposal Routing Form authorizes
that the unit be assessed according to the following guidelines, unless
the program is on the exemption list or a waiver of the fee is granted
by OSP/VCAS (see next page).

If the F&A rate is between 0% and 9%:
• 9% of the awarded MTDC amount of the project will be paid to the VCAS
to cover administrative costs.
• The source of funds will be from extramural F&A or other General Fund
monies of the unit submitting the proposal.
• The assessed under-recovered F&A will be compiled at award setup and
levied on a yearly basis for the life of the award.
• Any rates below 9% must make up the difference to equal the full 9% to
VCAS. For example, if an award carries only 5% F&A, the unit would be
charged by JV to make up the 4% difference.

If the F&A rate is between 10% and 20%, the distribution will be as follows:
• 39.0% to the parent unit
• 1.0% to the ORI
• 45.2% to the VCAS
• 2% to debt service
• 12.8% to Statewide

If the F&A rate is over 20%:
• F&A will be distributed according to the 53.4:2:1:43.6 distribution ratio.

We also have a form to request waiving the 9% -
http://www.uaf.edu/osp/forms/osp-003.pdf
Someone can also request a voluntary reduced/waived rate or a
combination of that and waiving the 9% fee...

Andrew