Re: NCIIA Experience Chaffins, Gary 08 May 2006 11:01 EST

Hello Deborah;

Well-intentioned over-enthusiasm or fishy?   My vote - probably both

You are probably already touching base with the faculty who might have
some connection to the field of the invention.

As for outside entity's submitting applications on behalf of and signing
up the institution that is really problematic.

Other ugly words that come to mind, are falsification of documents,
misrepresentation .... fraud, theft of public property (if the IP
happened to be publicly (institution) owned)....

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Deborah Hofer
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 8:37 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] NCIIA Experience

Good Monday morning.

Have any of you worked with the National Collegiate Inventors &
Innovators Alliance (NCIIA)?

I am dealing with a rather strange situation in that a private entity (I
believe non-profit but do not know for sure) is developing an invention
and submitted a grant proposal to NCIIA under the auspices of our
institution, i.e., the entity listed me as administrative contact and
themselves as the applicant. However, they neglected to provide a
proposal, budget, etc. to us for review.

Add to that, this entity paid membership fees to NCIIA on our behalf
because membership is required in order to apply for funding.

Well-intentioned over-enthusiasm or fishy?

Deborah d'Este Hofer MM
Grants Administrator
Southern Oregon University
541.552.8662
fax 541.552.6115
xxxxxx@sou.edu

"Only those who respect others can be of real use to them." Albert
Schweitzer