Re: indirect cost base on modular grants Charlie Hathaway 05 May 2006 17:23 EST

Your indirects are based on your direct cost request, i.e. the rounded up
figure minus exclusions

> Charlie, your question reminded me of something * when you do a modular
budget, you round up to the nearest 25K, but do you calculate indirects
on
> the actual projected expenditures or the rounded up modular amount minus
things to exclude from MTDC?

> Thank you Liz and Elsa, and thank you "modular budgets".  With R03/R21,
> sense things will be ok.
>
> I plan to be a tetrapod by February, but for now will spend some more
time
> in the pond, awaiting further intelligent design.
>
> CH
>
> At 01:55 PM 5/5/2006, you wrote:
>>NIH has a new page that is quite nice--clean, clear, concise. Under
"avoiding common errors" is the text
>>       "    Total Cost Does Not Equal Direct and Indirect Costs
>>    Check your math on this one
>>    Ensure that the direct costs and the indirect costs (G + H) on
>>Section F-K must EQUAL the Total Direct and Indirect Costs (G + H) on
the Cumulative Budget page. Only whole numbers should be used on the
budget page, no decimals. Round calculations DOWN to the nearest dollar.
IDC rates cannot exceed 99 on any line. "
>>I don't know if this is a resolution to the problem, but it appears to
be instructions on avoiding the issue.
>>         cheers, Elsa
>>Elsa G. Nadler, EdD
>>Grants Manager
>>Department of Community Medicine
>>1 Medical Center Drive
>>PO Box 9190
>>West Virginia University
>>Morgantown, WV 26506-9190
>>Tel: 304/293-3546
>>Fax: 304/293-6685
>>Did the indirect cost calculation problem in PureEdge that messed up
some AREA grant submissions get resolved?
our web site at http://www.hrinet.org (click on "Listserv Lists")