Re: Salary for emeritus professor Herbert B. Chermside 21 Jul 2005 12:52 EST

This sounds like you need to make a special agreement for part-time work
with this individual.  You definitely want the person on your payroll as an
employee, so he will have appropriate fiduciary responsibility to the
institution to direct the project.  The agreement should include a mutually
agreeable dollar value for what full time employment would be for his
skills, and an agreement of what % of full time this special assignment
amounts to.  Then although he is on this award being paid that amount for
100% of his effort, other increments of effort (from other sources) could
be added if mutually agreeable; in that case he would be paid the same from
the initial grant, but it would represent less than 100% of effort.

In any case, the awarding agency should be informed of this special
situation; otherwise they will assume "full time employee", and end up
getting tied up in knots.

I really don't understand your comment about "$45K from endowment", but if
he is paid something from the endowment for some effort, just work that
into the agreement stating the facts and assumptions/agreements of the
less-than-full-time employment agreement.

Probably not a worry, but you might confirm that the emeritus professor's
retirement will not be adversely affected by this arrangement because of
some special part of the retirement package.

Chuck

At 12:17 PM 7/21/2005, you wrote:
>Administrators -
>I'm looking for ideas on how to handle an NIH salary request for an
>emeritus professor who would be PI on an NIH Subcontract.  He has no base
>salary ($45K from endowment) but is requesting $30K for 20% effort.  Since
>he has zero base - I can't justify 30K as a percentage of a base salary.
>I don't think he can be a consultant since he's the PI.  Would independent
>contractor work? with 20% effort, no salary line, but named again as
>independent contractor for an estimated cost of $30K.
>Help will be much appreciated.
>

>Arthur Eisenberg, Administrator
>Office of Grants and Research
>Institute for Health Sciences
>St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
>432 West 58th Street, New York, NY  10019
>212-523-6558 voice
>212-523-7442 fax

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU Sponsored Programs
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net