Grant Writer? or Research Facilitator? Brian Gladue 29 Jun 2005 13:59 EST

I agree with Mike...arranging for a Grant Writer on staff takes most of the intellectual and conceptual emphasis off of the PI and puts it on an adminstrative support person.  Plus, it is really unlikely that a "one writer fits all" person will be effective for a diverse faculty.

The demand for a institution-funded grant-writer usually comes up when some senior faculty members are convinced that they are too busy to be bothered with the "mechanics" of grant-writing and if they only had someone who could take their "big" ideas and rough out 90% of the application and proposal, the Great Thinkers could then edit in a few details, send off the grant (under their name, of course) and reap huge awards to the institution.  I call this the "Coupon Template" approach to grant writing.  Almost always, such grant applications fail to be funded, since reviewers are confounded by two different styles of writing and a whole lot of critical details and concepts are missing or confusing.
Thus, when the grants aren't funded, no doubt the "grant writer" gets the blame for poor grantsmanship, and much soul-searching ensues about how to improve the grant writer's ability (i.e. success rate), or get a better writer.  Plus, much of this approach tends to remove the PI from actually doing the heavy intellectual and operational lifting of the application, and comes dangerously close to some suspicious ethical and research integrity issues, but we'll leave that for another time.

On the Plus side is the notion of a grant editor or greant application advisor.  THIS approach is extremely useful and productive.  At our university I was the Research Facilitator for many years and helped faculty and interested research staff identify funding sources, likely agencies and foundation; helped them craft a competitive proposal, including pointing out winning and losing aspects of a proposal; assisted them assemble the many boilerplate and technical/business elements of the application; and steered it through the often (to them) byzantine and arcane research administrative processes and offices, including IRB and compliance.  I also guided them on how applications are reviewed, who's on the study section/review committees, what agencies are looking for, how to interact with and communicate with program officers, how to develop a grant application to address targeted areas within the PIs discipline and interest, etc.

This approach not only yields a high success rate, but also keeps the investigator squarely in the High Responsibility mode...and gets them not only funded (and re-newed) but also gets them fired up about being a larger part of the research enterprise - and also teaches them how to mentor their own colleagues in their fields of research.  Think of it as a personal trainer for new and emerging grantees.  Especially, when the first go-around doesn't get funded, and you have to urge them to do "one more...come on...one more", until they hit it right.

In some institutions, some of this gets handled by "pre-award" personnel...but often these staff people are very over-worked and not always trained or conversant in research disciplines, or may have only a casual understanding of how grants are reviewed (especially in places like NSF and NIH).  Often central research administration staff may not have any direct personal experience writing and obtaining grant awards in their name (as well as missing out on the sheer delightful experience of getting a rejection letter for an application).  Having a dedicated grant-conversant (and award experienced) editor or facilitator brings the broadest and most meaningfully cost-effective person to the process...the only catch (there always is one!) is that such folks are not entry-level recent grads...not every university or college is willing to recruit and retain such a person.

Please excuse the long essay, but I wanted to flesh out as well as second these opinions.  In the case of Grant Writer vs Grant/Research Facilitator, I'd bet on the latter as the better approach anytime.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Gladue, Ph.D.
INSTAR Research Associates
Maineville, OH  45039
Chairperson, IRB-S, University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH  45267