Re: Management Concepts/Grants Management Certificate Program Joyce Davies 28 Feb 2005 12:04 EST

I have attended courses at Management Concepts and have completed the
Pass-thru track of the Grants Management Certificate Program. The
courses are excellent. They have a wide variety of faculty with varied
backgrounds. Management Concepts does a good job of keeping their
materials current to what is happening at the federal level so it is
good for someone in the grants field. The classes are a smaller size to
accomodate interactions within the class. Many of the classes involve
case studies where you work in groups. I attended most of my classes at
the main headquarters in Vienna, VA but I'd recommend that if you choose
to send someone to the classes that you try to choose one of the other
locations since you're on the west coast. Transportation costs could be
prohibitive. I also tried to piggyback courses (take two during each
trip) so I could minimize travel costs as much as possible. It takes a
little more work to structure the overall program but it's definitely
worthwhile. I strongly recommend the courses to anyone in the Grants
field because it's hard to find a place that offers such much specific
information related to federal grants. I'm not sure I'd recommend the
Certificate Program to someone not primarily involved in Research
Administration or Research Accounting because of the cost but there's
nothing wrong with taking a couple of the basic courses to get an
overview, if that's what is needed. The certificate program is not a
requirement. The courses are expensive but there's a lot of good
information packed into each one.

Joyce M. Davies, CPA
Manager, Grants Accounting
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
4209 SR 44, PO Box 95
Rootstown OH 44272
phone: 330-325-6369
email:  xxxxxx@neoucom.edu