Re: Giving Credit on Proposals and Awards Herbert B. Chermside 29 Nov 2004 10:20 EST

The best way is to have your database of proposals and awards to have four
fields regarding credit for each entry.  One pair would list the single
responsible PI and the administering department for full credit, and the
other would divide the PI and Co-PIs and their departments.  I'd suggest
your internal transmittal sheet collect this information, so the academic
managers will themselves resolve conflicts internally.

My personal suggestion for $ credits is the amount that Co-PI controls.  It
might be wise to suggest that 10% of each budget be held by the PI as
"just-in-case" funds and be rebudgeted about 9 months into each year.

Chuck

At 08:37 AM 11/29/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We have a recurring problem ascribing credit on proposals and awards and I'm
>hoping to find out how others handle this situation.  When we record
>proposals and awards, we can give credit only to the lead department and
>investigator.  There are some departments here at WPI though that would like
>us to acknowledge in our reports their contributions to multi-disciplinary
>proposals and awards.  Does anyone have any ways that they've successfully
>accomplished this?
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>Franc
>
>Francois D. Lemire
>Director, Research Administration
>Worcester Polytechnic Institute
>100 Institute Road
>Worcester, MA 01609-2280
>Tel. 508-831-5359
>Fax. 508-831-5789

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net