Re: Working with DOE national lab Murphy, Thomas 07 Oct 2004 14:18 EST

I don't want to meddle in another national lab's affairs, but would it be
possible to enter into a no-funds CRADA?  Or are there other components of
the CRADA (not related to funding and cost) that concern you?  I would
appreciate hearing from you on this; you see,

This year's NCURA meeting will include a session on University-National
Laboratory partnerships:  Monday, November 1 at 10:30 a.m.  The session
coincides with the imminent release of a report by the National Academies on
the same subject.  Our panel consists of representatives from three national
labs and DOE Headquarters.  (The following day there will be a discussion
group speaking specifically to partnerships with Brookhaven National Lab).
Perhaps you are raising issues we need to address.

I hope folks will consider attending this session and reading the National
Academies report when it is released (presumably later this month).  The
NCURA setting provides the opportunity for university personnel to express
their concerns to an assembly of national lab and headquarters
representatives, not just to a lone contracts administrator at the other end
of the telephone line.  And we need to have this kind of open dialogue if we
want to make what I would call "FDP-like progress" on some of these issues.

Thomas O. Murphy
Office of Intellectual Property and Sponsored Research
Brookhaven National Laboratory
P.O. Box 5000, MS-475D, Upton NY 11973
Tel:  631-344-3312
Fax:  631-344-3729