Re: Indirect Costs Redistributions Herbert B. Chermside 21 Mar 2003 08:56 EST

To Janet's wise advice I would add that F&A reimbursement is earned only as
direct costs are generated.  This is why a change in expenditure from
budget may change the F&A earnable.  With the budget flexibility offered by
most sponsors the total F&A earned may depart from that budgeted with very
little institutional activity.

Distributing "earned F&A reimbursement" prior to earning it can put the
institution in a bind; you have spent (or at least budgeted for spending)
before the revenue is earned.  (Don't worry about the collection, your
accountants do that when earned.)  My institution distributes F&A earned
monthly based on the earnings for the month.  I know of others that do it
only after closeout of the project, but they are small institutions with
(or had at the time the policy was established) less robust accounting
systems, or did not have a "standard formula" for distribution.

"Taking" F&A from the project budget the PI has would be very confusing
precisely because earned may easily depart from budgeted.  Obviously you do
not want PI to "spend" funds needed for F&A.  My institution requires the
PI to manage to the bottom line, accounting for F&A actualy earned/earnable.

Chuck

At 05:09 PM 3/20/2003 -0500, Hahn, Janet M wrote:
>We budget F&A upfront.  Expenditures to F&A line item are entered and
>distributed quarterly.
>Janet Hahn

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University