Re: Intergovernmental Personnel Act agreements Herbert B. Chermside 10 Feb 2003 11:51 EST

VCU, a state uinversity, processes IPA's as sponsored programs.  Although
they are really a personnel/payroll matter, OSPA & G&C Accounting have the
contractual expertise and billing capacity to handle them.  No F&A.  Time,
if not 100%, is in 5effort (Federal agreement, A-21!).  Generally involvees
working at federal installation, so federal holidays rather than
university.  May have dislocation allowance (extra pay); if so have memo in
place regarding pay upon return.  May have travel to and from paid in
IPA.  Ensure IPA provides feds pay directly for travel for fed
business.  Keep an eye on your faculty member NOT getting screwed by gvt.

No, bad to employ someone and put on IPA just to avoid federal manpower caps.

Chuck

At 10:02 AM 2/7/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Good Morning --
>
>         I would like to hear from other universities that accept
> Intergovernmental
>Personnel Act (IPA) agreements from Federal agencies--I am speaking of the
>situation in which the university employee is temporarily detailed to the
>Federal agency rather than the reverse.
>
>         If you do accept IPA agreements, are they processed through your
> sponsored
>programs office or your personnel office? Do you invoice by hours or percent
>of time? How do you handle the fact that you have a university employment
>agreement with the employee guaranteeing xx days of holiday leave;  yet the
>IPA agreement states that the IPA employee can only take Federal holidays
>(our problem is the Christmas break)? Are you receiving requests to hire
>people who are not employees just so the Federal agency can then issue an
>IPA for that person's time?
>
>         If you do not accept IPA agreements, why not?
>
>         Replying directly to xxxxxx@email.uah.edu will be fine. Thanks!
>

>Valerie Seaquist
>Office of Research Administration
>The University of Alabama in Huntsville