Re: IP On Assistantship Herbert B. Chermside 20 Jan 2003 09:35 EST

I would disagree.

The individual is EMPLOYED to work on the federal grant.  Therefore all
activity is supposed to be related to that federal grant.  If the person
worked on other sponsored activities, the salary should not have been
charged to the grant.  So the presumption must be that the work was
grant-related, and the IP must be reported.  This suggests that the
assignment of work for the student might have been improper.  Or,
alternatively, that the work was within the PI's discretion of expanding
the work beyond what was in the proposal, something certainly allowable
under the regulations -- unless it was a change in the scope of the grant,
which again would make the work assignment improper.

If it was discovered early that the work was mis-charged, a change of the
expense charge could made.  That would have to be done within the
parameters of your institutional policy on correcting erroneous charges to
federal grants.  If the change is made only after the IP is disclosed,
there would be a significant question as to the propriety of that correction.

There would also be some possible questions arising from the institutional
policy regarding IP.  I believe a policy that excluded students -- or
fellows (not the position you revealed for this student) -- from a share in
the IP's rewards would be in violation of federal regulations.

I suggest that there is no problem for the institution that there is a
federal interest in the invention...unless it is in direct conflict with
other contractual commitments with external parties, in which case you may
have a real mess to unwind.  Experience in my institution is that the
residual federal interest in IP causes no real problem in exploiting that
IP unless there is a direct conflict with other external agreements
regarding the exclusive commitment of IP rights to a different sponsor.  It
may require some education of potential IP licensors -- but if a potential
licensor does not understand how limited those residual federal rights are
in real life, that licensor may be too inexperienced to be considered a
viable licensor.  I also suggest that it is an INSTITUTIONAL rather than
departmental question as to what internal and external sources have
interests in that IP, and also in the manner of IP exploitation that best
serves the institution, the sponsor, and the inventor(s).  There may be
knowledge and expertise in the department that aids the Tech Transfer
Office, but there should be no decision-making in the department.

This problem illustrates the confusion that is caused when a department or
laboratory draws student support from whatever revenue source may be
available without relating the work to that source.  Some might argue that
fraud is implied.  If this practice is commonplace, the institution's
research executives should learn more about the federal False Claims Act!

Chuck

At 11:10 AM 1/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I've asked this question before but want a refresher.   First, the
>ground work:  A graduate student is employed on a federal sponsored
>agreement subject to Bayh-Dole and the assistantship is considered a 50%
>employee appointment and that type of appointment is a salaried position
>not subject to local personnel act (i.e. not eligible for overtime work;
>get the "job" done, irrespective of total time).
>
>The aforementioned graduate student creates IP while working in "the
>lab" to which s/he is assigned to work while employed to work on the
>federal sponsored agreement.  The IP is the result of a much broader
>aspect of the discipline under which s/he is working towards as
>described by the federal sponsored agreement that is paying his/her
>salary.
>
>My argument is that this IP does not need to be disclosed to the
>federal sponsor and the federal sponsor accrues no rights in the IP
>because [its] relationship to the specifics for which the sponsored
>agreement was issued can not be related to the objectives (and
>deliverables) of the sponsored agreement.
>
>Am I right?   Beyond this argument, what constitutes sufficient support
>for or against (so I can argue it with the feds or with the academic
>department) the reason to disclose to the feds or not...
>
>Please advise directly or via the list and thanks in advance for your
>assistance.  Apologies for those who receive this on the many lists I
>have posted.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Matt
>
>Matt Ronning
>Associate Vice Chancellor and Director
>Research Administration / SPARCS
>North Carolina State University
>1 Leazer Hall - Lower Level
>Campus Box 7514
>Raleigh, NC 27695-7514
>919-513-2148 - Direct Line
>919-515-7200 - Main Line
>919-515-7721 - Fax
>xxxxxx@ncsu.edu - e-mail
>http://www.ncsu.edu/sparcs  - URL

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568
Express Delivery Only:
 Biotech One, Suite 113
 Virginia Biotechnology Research Park
 800 East Leigh Street
 Richmond, VA 23219
Voice:  804-828-6772
Fax     804-828-2521
OFFICE e-mail   xxxxxx@VCU.EDU
Personal e-mail xxxxxx@vcu.edu
http://www.research.vcu.edu/ospa.htm

The Office of Sponsored Programs Administration will be moving Wednesday
January 8 throuigh Friday January 10.  We are moving from Sanger Hall to
Biotech One, in the Biotech Research Park, 800 East Leigh Street, Suite 113.

Proposals can be dropped off in Sanger Hall through January 10.  Monday
January 13 we will be in full operation in our new home.  We will do our
best to respond to real emergencies while moving; otherwise, expect about 3
days lost time.

We will retain our VCU mail box, #568, but express or other physical
deliveries will come to our new offices.  Phone numbers and e-mail will
stay the same, but computers and telephones will be down 1 to 3 days.