Policies on Funding from Tobacco Companies McCabe, Jeanne 10 Oct 2002 09:35 EST

As humans, we have the ability to apply common sense to seemingly similar
basic situations with differing underlying issues.  To draw a parallel
between direct tobacco funding when tobacco products have been proven to
cause health problems, and various religious organizations, insinuates we
lack the ability to apply common sense and reason.  I echo  Jim's comment
below that this is an institutional decision which has to be based on
institutional circumstances.  But near the top of my list of frustrations is
any policy which removes my ability to apply common sense as I do my job.
Once the reasonableness element is removed from the decision process and
every situation can be approved or disapproved based on a generalized rule
in our policies and procedures manual, my job becomes quite boring and could
ultimately be performed by a computer that had appropriate logic programmed
into it.

That said, the University of Iowa doesn't have a written policy saying that
we cannot accept funds from the tobacco industry.  We do however very
closely scrutinize any research involving tobacco companies.  Our College of
Public Health has adopted a policy that any recruiting meals and/or
entertainment reimbursed by the College cannot take place at any of the
local restaurants who allow smoking.

If you ever have the opportunity to hear former Surgeon General C. Everett
Koop speak, I highly recommend you do so.  His presentation when he visited
Iowa City was tremendous.

Jeanne McCabe, CPA, MBA
Research Administrator
University of Iowa
Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
224 CMAB
Iowa City, Iowa  52242
xxxxxx@uiowa.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:07:47 -0700
From:    "James R. Brett" <xxxxxx@CSULB.EDU>
Subject: Re: Policies on Funding from Tobacco Companies

Chuck,

My position is this: to play or not to play with the tobacco companies is a
decision that an institution can make.  I have a personal bias, of course,
because
I was a hooked smoker for many years, so I come down against playing with
them.
The decision happens to have been made for me at my institution and, as I
have
detailed, that decision coincides with my own opinion, which is just great
for me.
I am deliberately trying to avoid generalizations from this experience to
funding
from other sources, because I believe that the decision to accept funding
from
tobacco companies or not should be approached institutionally on the merits
and
demerits of the situation, which in fact it was.  The situation at VCU or at
my
alma mater over in Charlottesville may take on a different hue based on a
variety
of considerations, not the least of which are 1) the extent to which the
relationship defines the moral posture of the institution, and 2) practical
utilitarian considerations, like survival as an institution.  You know where
I come
out on this.

As to the separate and more generalizable problem of certain funding sources
establishing rules against institutions taking funds from agencies that have
agendas antithetical to their own, I say let 'em.  It is still a free
country. You
are right, the institution must then decide.  I can easily see how, for an
example,
a private foundation or association dedicated to issues relating to DUI/DWI
might
decline to fund institutions that accept money from the manufacturers and
distributors of intoxicating liquor.  The institution must decide whether to
accept
the foundation's money or not.  The decision could be made 1) "on principle"
that
the institution will not take such orders from outside parties, which is
your
position as I read it, or 2) "on the merits" of the individual situation,
which  is
my position; take them one at a time based on the intrinsic issues and avoid
overgeneralizing the problem.

Jim

"Herbert B. Chermside" wrote:

> Jim, my position is precisely that, whether tobacco, religion, ethnicity,
> or anything else is the subject, a university cannot let abhorrence of the
> subject by one external constituency control the sources of funding
> available to that university which come from constituencies supporting the
> subject.  This is a type of prior censorship that cannot be tolerated if
> the institution is to remain objective and impartial!
>
> In other words, the question is not about tobacco, the subject, but
control
> by external constituencies.
>
> If the institution, through its established decision making processes,
> determines internally that it will avoid activities supported by some
> external constituency, that is altogether a different matter.
>
> Chuck
>
> At 01:38 PM 10/8/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >Tom, we have no written policy, but our research foundation has divested
> >itself
> >of all tobacco company stocks, and I would take that as precedent for a
> >strenuous resistance to participation in any project whatsoever sponsored
by a
> >tobacco company.  My campus receives public agency funds for smoking
cessation
> >projects in our state.  That, too, would seem to set up an ethical
barrier to
> >taking tobacco company funds.
> >
> >The hard part of this is the secondary question about the nature of
> >conglomerates.  My personal opinion is that the good folks from Kraft
> >Foods had
> >very little choice in being gobbled up by Philip Morris when it happened.
But