Re: Barbara Lodico 31 Jul 2002 06:10 EST

Bob.

There has been a movement to have the IRB reside outside of sponsored
program offices because of conflict of interest issues.  While many
institutions have separated this function well in the past, it is often
difficult at best to manage the grant funding and ethics associated with
human subjects protections.  Also, the new standard of human subjects
protection programs, IRB review and administration is no longer enough.

We are structures so that the IRB administrative staff reported to the
Director of Human Subjects Protections and the IRB Committee Reports the IRB
Chair and the Board acts autonomous so that there is no institutional
interference.  If you would like to discuss our model, I am just up the road
from you, please contact me.

Barbara

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Robert DeMartino
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 10:51 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L]

Hello

We are looking at our IRB and trying to decide where the IRB should reside
within the administrative structure of the University.  I'd appreciate
hearing from any of you with respect to where your IRB is residing.  Also,
can anyone comment on the support that the sponsored research office
provides to the IRB, e.g. is there an administrator in the SRO dedicated to
assisting the IRB Chair? Are there any other arrangements that have proved
to be successful, or comments on any potential conflict of interest
concerning the interaction of the SRO and the IRB?  Please feel free to
email me directly at demartro.shu.edu.

Thank you!

Bob De Martino
Grants and Research Services