Re: insurance clauses Herbert B. Chermside 25 Mar 2002 09:19 EST

VCU does not list any third party as an additional insured.  The following,
which is both instruction to staff and something they can cut-and-past from
for language in a cover letter, explains.

++++++++++++

VCU is Self Insured

VCU is an instrumentality of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  The
Commonwealth and its agencies are largely self-insured, as prescribed by
state code (Code of Virginia 2.1-191.5 ff) and resulting regulations.   In
accordance with these, no third party can be named as co-insured, nor can
any third party control the levels or nature of the coverages.

We can offer the following insurance clauses:

VCU agrees to be responsible, where found liable and to the extent covered
by insurance or specified by statute, whichever is lower, for the payment
of any or all claims for loss, personal injury, death, property damage or
otherwise arising out of any act or omission of its employees or
agents.  The Commonwealth, its agencies, institutions, and employees are
covered by a self insured plan based on a comprehensive general liability
manuscript form as authorized by the Code of Virginia, § 2.1-191.11

+++++++++++

In general, I believe it a poor policy for a university to add a sponsor as
a co-insured.  Some commercial concerns often include this in agreements
among themselves, but many of the large commercial concerns refuse to do
so.  The purpose is to have some insurance to back up, or instead of,
indemnification.  Virginia state universities clearly cannot indemnify or
list third parties as co-insureds, and I see no good reason that private
institutions do it, ether, unless their risk management departments
recommend it.

Chuck

At 03:06 PM 3/22/2002 -0500, Anne Womack wrote:
>  As an matter of information-gathering, may I ask how many
>schools have been asked to add a sponsoring agency as an
>additional insured on their insurance policies--and who have agreed
>to it.  I think what I'm asking is do *any* of you list additional
>insureds, and if you don't, what reason do you give (if you know).
>    Thanks for any help.  A.W.
>

>Anne Womack CRA
>Director of Sponsored Programs
>Grants and Research Administration