Re: Alcatel Jeff Myers 19 Jul 2000 09:03 EST

I haven't dealt with this company but I frequently hear this
rationalization when negotiating industry agreements.  I always attempt to
check into it.  I generally find that, in order of most common occurrence:

1.      It hasn't been accepted by anyone else (or it is still pending).
2.      It has been accepted but material changes to the terms were made.
3.      It has been accepted but the nature of the research at the other
institution is such that it is virtually certain that no IP will result
from the work.
4.      It has been accepted.

Number 4 is very uncommon, but even if another institution has accepted
unfavorable terms we still negotiate.  I argue from the perspective of our
own laws, regulations, policies, etc which would preclude acceptance of
this language.  We  avoid setting a precedent like this at all costs even
if no IP of any value is anticipated.

Jeff Myers
SIU